Lewiston, New York – Queenston, Ontario
1899 – 1962
Work on the second Queenston – Lewiston Suspension Bridge began in autumn of 1898 under the direction of engineer Leffert L. Buck. This bridge would replace the initial suspension bridge that had been destroyed by wind in 1854. The remains of the first bridge were the towers, cables and iron rods.
R.S. Buck was the construction superintendent.
The Pencoyd Bridge Company was awarded the contract to build this bridge. Much larger towers replaced the old ones. On the American side, the towers were 26 feet (7.9 m) square and 26 feet (7.9m) tall. On the Canadian shore, the towers were set on higher ground. These two towers were 22 feet (6.7m) square and 18 feet (5.5m) high.
The dismantled Falls View Suspension Bridge was moved to Queenston – Lewiston where it was re-erected in part, providing a single electric car track and room for other vehicles as well. The cables on the Upper Suspension Bridge had been taken down and used on this Queenston – Lewiston Bridge. The new bridge weighed approximately 1000 tons. Of this, nearly 800 tons of structural steel for this bridge had been salvaged from the dismantled Upper Suspension Bridge.
The second Queenston – Lewiston Suspension Bridge was officially opened on July 21st 1899. The bridge completed the connecting link between the belt line railway which operated along the Canadian and American shorelines. This new bridge ended the ferry service which had operated since the collapse of the first Queenston – Lewiston Bridge. This bridge remained in service until November 2nd 1962 when it was replaced with a larger and more modern third Queenston – Lewiston steel arch bridge.
This second suspension bridge was sold to the Consolidated Contracting Company of Buffalo, New York for a salvage bid of $118,000. The company planned to salvage 1000 tons of steel. Demolition began in December of 1962 and was completed before the March 1963 deadline. The steel was sold to Canadian scrap dealers.