Lewiston, New York – Queenston, Ontario
1962 – Present
Discussions about the need to replace the second Queenston – Lewiston Bridge began in 1953.
On September 28th 1956, Robert Moses, Chairman of the New York Power Authority proposed the building of a new steel arch bridge across the Niagara Gorge. This was included in his plan to build a power generating station, parks, and a highway along the American shoreline.
The American Committee included Joseph Davis, President of the Niagara Frontier State Parks Commission, James F. Evans of the New York Council of Parks and William Latham, an engineer of the New York State Power Authority.
On March 1st 1957, Leslie Frost, Premier of the Province of Ontario formed a five person committee to study proposals for a new bridge connecting Queenston and Lewiston. This committee included Government of Ontario Ministers: James N. Allan, Charles Daley, William Nickle, Ray Connell and B.A. Farrell.
On September 17th 1958, the Government of Ontario announced it would pay $2 million dollars for the Canadian approaches to the new bridge.
The bridge was designed by engineer, Leffert L. Buck. Mr. Shortridge Hardesty of the firm Waddell & Hardesty was appointed consulting engineer.
On November 2nd 1960 ground breaking ceremonies were held and construction on the new bridge commenced.
The new $16 million dollar Queenston-Lewiston Steel Arch Bridge was officially opened on November 1st 1962.
It is located 5 miles north of the Whirlpool Rapids Bridge and seven tenths (7/10th) of a mile south of the old Queenston-Lewiston Suspension Bridge.
This Queenston – Lewiston Steel Arch Bridge is a replica of the Rainbow Bridge. The arch span is 1,000 feet (304.8m) long. The total length of the bridge from abutment to abutment is 1,600 feet (488m). The deck is 370 feet (113m) above the river and consists of four traffic lanes.