The first owner of Drummond Hill was James Forsyth. In 1798, he took out a patent for 400 acres of land including Drummond Hill.
The second owner, through purchase, of Drummond Hill was a United Empire Loyalist Christopher Buchner (originally spelled Boughner). He married Sarah Forsyth, the daughter of James and Eunice Forsyth.
Buchner set aside half an acre on Drummond Hill as a burying ground for his neighbouring settlers. At that time it was the only cemetery between Chippawa and Stamford. The oldest tombstone was that of John Burch’s dating back to 1797.
At the start of the War of 1812, Drummond Hill was fenced with logs and shaded by many maple and other large trees. The surrounding area consisted of several farm orchards and forest.
John Buchner, the son of Christopher and Sara Buchner, fought for the British in the War of 1812. John saw action during the Battle of Lundy’s Lane on July 25th 1814 and it was during this battle that he was taken prisoner by American troops. Following the war, John Buchner was released.
After the original plot of land for the cemetery was filled, John Buchner donated another half acre so that it could be enlarged.
Catharine Buchner, the daughter of John Buchner married Donald MacKenzie. Through her inheritance she became the owner of the Buchner estate including Drummond Hill.
By 1860, all the available cemetery plots had again been filled. Donald MacKenzie, then owner of Drummond Hill was asked to donate more land in order to expand the cemetery. At first MacKenzie was reluctant to do so. He later sold more of his land holdings on Drummond Hill to allow for the cemetery expansion.
The property of Drummond Hill became part of the MacKenzie estate following the deaths of Catharine and Donald MacKenzie. The last surviving relative was John L. Mackenzie. He became the last private citizen to hold title to this historic battlefield and cemetery. Following his death, the property became a public historical site.
Today Drummond Hill cemetery encompasses four acres. In 1912, the cemetery and surrounding landscape was taken over by the Niagara Parks Commission.