In 1827, Nicholas Biddle commenced construction of a staircase from the top of Goat Island to the base of the gorge, which became known as the Biddle Stairs. The staircase was 24.4 metres tall, a wooden enclosed structure, which contained a metal staircase. The stairs allowed visitors to descend into the gorge to the rocks at the base where paths along the rock talus led to the edge of the Horseshoe Falls and to the Cave of the Winds attraction at the Bridal Veil Falls.
The Biddle Stairs contained small viewing portals to allow visitors a view of the Falls and the Niagara Gorge from differing heights as they traveled along the staircase.
In 1847, a rock fall caused a large boulder to fall into the gorge next to Biddle’s Staircase nearly destroying this attraction.
Biddle Staircase remained in operation for 98 years, before finally being demolished in 1927.