1929 – Present
In 1927, William Manley German along with a group of Niagara Falls businessmen with the financial assistance of Sir Harry Oakes formed a company to build the General Brock Hotel. Mr. German secured the incorporation of the General Brock Hotel Company.
The General Brock Hotel was being planned as early as 1927. Construction began in January of 1929. The hotel was built by Pigott Construction Company of Hamilton, Ontario.
The General Brock Hotel was the first high rise hotel built in Niagara Falls. At eleven floors, it towered above the landscape and boasted 20,000 square feet. It contained 247 bedrooms, 50 cots, 16 stores, 290 telephones and two elevators. The top floor was reserved as the “Rainbow Room”; a glass enclosed banquet room that provided an unparalleled view of the Falls and the Niagara Gorge.
The hotel which was named after the famous War of 1812 British General, Sir Isaac Brock was officially opened on July 1st 1929. Mr. John B. Robinson was the first manager.
Two additional floors were later added to the hotel by the then owners the Sheraton Hotel chain. The Sheraton Brock Hotel was sold to Mr. Arthur White in the early 1970’s. Mr. White owned the hotel until he sold it to the York Hanover Company.
As Niagara’s first luxury hotel, Hotel General Brock has long been a favourite of Hollywood elite and royalty. Many notable guests Include:
- Walt Disney
- Shirley Temple
- Jimmy Stewart
- Princess Margaret
- Queen Elizabeth
- Sylvester Stallone
- Matt Dillon
- Bruce Willis
- Jackie Chan
Marilyn Monroe made the Hotel her home while filming the movie “Niagara”.
The Hotel General Brock has even appeared on film, the ending of “A whole nine yards” starring Matthew Perry was filmed on the balcony terrace on the 11th floor.
The Hotel General Brock changed names over the years to the Sheraton Brock Hotel, the Skyline Brock Hotel, Brock Plaza Hotel and is currently known as the Crowne Plaza Niagara Falls – Fallsview Hotel.