In 1856, John Lynch, an Irishman, founded a Seminary near Lewiston, New York. The site today, is part of the grounds of Niagara University. As a child, Lynch had envisioned Niagara Falls as a place for people to worship.
Lynch became the Archbishop of Toronto. Archbishop Lynch purchased a plot of land overlooking the Falls along the Canadian side of the Niagara Gorge. He deeded six acres to the Sisters of Loretto.
The Loretto Convent began in 1861 at the former site of a tavern called "Canada House". This tavern was located in front of the current Loretto Academy building on Stanley Avenue overlooking the Falls.
The abandoned and derelict tavern was repaired and remodeled for five Sisters of Loretto Community