The Great Western Railroad built a train station named “Clifton” in 1855, at the foot of Bridge Street (on the site of the current train station).
The first passenger depot existed for 16 years before it was destroyed by fire in the spring of 1879. After the destruction of the depot, The Great Western Railroad immediately rebuilt a replacement train passenger depot was built of red brick, with a gothic architectural style. It had a two storey centre section and a 30 metre long eastern and western wings branching off of the centre section.
Prior to 1951, the two waiting rooms were accessed through separate entrances. The station had 4.6 metre high ceilings and wood plank flooring. Also located in the station was a centre circular ticket booth and a huge pot bellied stove supplied heat to both of the waiting rooms.
Between 1853 and 1860, the station contained a restaurant/saloon known as the “Great Western Restaurant”. The restaurant/saloon was operated until 1909 when the liquor license for this business was revoked.
In 1967, Canadian National Railway took off 80 feet from the eastern wing of this train station in a cost cutting move. In addition, the stairway to the second floor was removed. Today, access to this vacant second floor can be gained only by use of a ladder.
In 1976, a similar cut was planned for the western wing however this plan was subsequently scrapped.
This station is the current railway station located on Bridge Street and is one of the oldest in the Province of Ontario.