In 1857, the Great Western Railroad built a 24 stall railway roundhouse to be used for repairs and maintenance of the locomotive trains. The roundhouse was located near the north east corner of the railroad property near the current area of River Road and Buttrey Street.
By 1960, 18 of the original 24 roundhouse stalls were demolished.
In July of 1968, roundhouse was closed by the Canadian National Railway as part of Canadian National’s program to consolidate diesel locomotive maintenance and repair operations.
The roundhouse existed for 118 years before being demolished in November of 1971. The roundhouse turntable was sent to Attica, New York.