In 1871, the Canadian Southern Railway began operating trains through Niagara Falls.
The Canadian Southern Railway began advertising the Falls View and all day trains were stopped 15-20 minutes at this location for sightseeing purposes. Fast trains were stopped for 5 minutes before continuing. The Michigan Central Railroad continued this practice until the mid 1920’s.
The Michigan Central Railway built a railway station at Falls View that contained bench type seats around the interior walls of the building. An excellent panoramic views of the Falls were available through the stations many windows.
A large grassy area east of this platform and closest to the edge of the high bank provided an outdoor area for resting and viewing the Falls.
Train ticket could not be purchased at the Falls View Station. It was just for resting and waiting until the train was ready to leave again.
The Falls View Station and viewing area was known in railroad timetables as “Inspiration Point”.
The Falls View Station was a popular landmark from the 1870’s through to the mid 1920’s.
The Falls View Station was demolished between 1925 and 1926. The sidewalk, platform and grass rest area was maintained by the Michigan Central railway for another 8-9 years. In late 1934 and early 1935, Oakes Drive and the Stamford Bridge over the Michigan Central Railway were built as part of an ambitious public works program funded for the most part by Mr. Harry Oakes.
The Stamford Bridge was built across the Michigan Central Railway without the disruption of train service. Thousands of tonnes of fill were brought in to build the road surface to a level close to that of the railway tracks. A retaining wall of Queenston limestone was built to separate the roadway from the railway.
This roadway restoration project destroyed what remained of “Inspiration Point” and the old historic stone monastery at Mount Carmel.