On March 17th 1892 (St. Patrick’s Day) New York State Governor, Roswell P. Flower signed the charter merging both villages to form the City of Niagara Falls, New York.
Interestingly, Governor Flower was ready to sign this proclamation several days early however was convinced to delay the official signing to coincide with Saint Patrick’s Day.
At the time of this consolidation, the Village of Niagara Falls had a population of 6,505 people. The Village of Suspension Bridge (Bellevue) had a population of 5,206 people.
With the combined villages, the new City of Niagara Falls had a land area of 6,970 acres the 412 acres of the Niagara Reservation State Park.
The first City of Niagara Falls budget was $79,000.
The first city election was held on April 19th 1892. Mr. George W. Wright became the first mayor of the City of Niagara Falls, New York.