Niagara Falls USA Island
Luna Island is located along the north side of Goat Island at the edge of the Niagara Gorge. Luna Island separates the American Falls and the Bridal Veil Falls.
Originally called Prospect Island, it was renamed Luna Island because, in the 1800’s, famous lunar rainbows were seen over it on bright moonlit nights. Unfortunately, because of the nightly illumination of the Falls, moon rainbows are rarely seen today.
Luna Island is approximately 3/4 of an acre in size, mainly consisting of a thick layer of dolostone rock. In its original state, Luna Island was full of white cedar trees.
In 1954, Luna Island was closed to the public. This is because the bedrock underlying the island had become unstable and there was fear that rock may fall from the island. Until 1972, Luna Island remained closed to the public. The de-watering of the American Falls in 1969 allowed anti-erosion work, including removing loose rock, stabilized the island.