Niagara Falls Battlefield Towers
Fralick’s Battlefield Tower
In 1850, Adam Fralick built a enclosed wooden tower directly across from the Lundy's Lane Presbyterian Church. It was the third of the battlefield towers to be built. It was built when the McKenzie Tower was still in existence across the street, which created competition.
Fralick's tower consisted of a two storey building with a tower at the top of the building.
After many years, the tower fell victim to a severe storm which caused the tower to collapse. The house on which Fralick's tower rested atop, was repaired and later occupied by tenants. The house was later moved to a new location at Lundy's Lane at Dorchester Road.
Durham Battlefield Tower
In 1855, Mr. Davis built a tower known as the "Durham Tower" overlooking the battlefield. It was located on Lundy's Lane near Drummond Road. It was built as a plan of the Leonard estate.
The tower base consisted of a two storey brick building. The second floor was often used for community meetings and lodge meetings.
This tower was later taken over and run by Mr. John Durham. Business remained good until the beginning of the American Civil War. Residents were able to see parts of the battle of Ridgeway from the top of this tower.
In 1870, several sections of this tower were destroyed during a wind storm. This tower was finally dismantled in 1870 and was never rebuilt.
Anderson’s Battlefield Tower
Second to the majestic Falls, the battlefields of the War of 1812 became the most popular tourist sites following the end of the war. The site of the bloodiest and deadliest battle during this war was at the Battle of Lundy's Lane. This battlefield became an instant tourist attraction drawing people from both countries.
Captain Anderson was a retired British artillery soldier who fought in the battle of Lundy's Lane. He built a battlefield observation tower, which was the first of the battlefield towers to be built.
In 1845, Captain Anderson built a 12 metre tall wooden observation tower overlooking the Lundy's Lane battleground. It was located along the north side of Lundy's Lane near the present day Drummond Hill Church.
The tower was a basic wooden structure, built without a cellar or stone foundation. It was four logs placed in the sand, tapering at the top. Inside the tower, a staircase allowed visitors to ascend to the top of the tower.
The wooden posts decayed over time and on a stormy night, the observatory collapsed. It was never rebuilt.
McKenzie’s Battlefield Tower
In 1846, Donald McKenzie built the second battlefield tower on his property on the summit of Drummond Hill on the south side of Lundy's Lane. It was build on land which was fenced enclosed and had been used as a pyre during the Battle of Lundy's Lane.
McKenzie's tower, built of heavy timber, rose from the top of a two storey weather boarded building. At the top of the tower was an outdoor observation deck with a telescope. McKenzie had advertisements printed for visitors, which pointed out various points of interest.
The first floor of McKenzie's building had shelves displaying Native American bead work, moose hair work , bark work and bullets. From here, visitors bought various souvenirs.
In 1851, the observatory was enlarged. The tower was raised and it was made to look more attractive.
On the night of July 4th 1851, McKenzie's Tower burned to the ground.