The American Pagoda
In 1845, Charles Robinson built a pagoda style observation tower. It stood on the bank of "Hennepin's Point", the spot where Father Louis Hennepin was believed to have first viewed the Falls from the American shore.
Robinson's pagoda was 30.5 metres tall and was surrounded by a low stone wall. It was a square shaped structure built of heavy timbers, and the outside of this tower was covered with a lattice veneer.
This tower had three observation platforms at various heights of the tower. This tower stood until 1860 when it was torn down.
The Canadian Pagoda
In 1847, Charles Robinson built his second pagoda style observation tower in Niagara. Robinson had owned land on the Canadian side of the Niagara Gorge between the Table Rock and the Prospect Hotel.
This pagoda observation tower was 21 metres tall and was built of the same style as the American pagoda.
This tower had three observation platforms at various heights of the tower. This tower provided an excellent view of the Horseshoe Falls. The Pagoda also housed a camera obscura.
This tower stood until 1860 when it was torn down.