The Development of the Parks
Work immediately began on the creation of the park. Gate houses were erected at each entrance into the park. The main entrance was located at the north end of the park. The gate house was named the Mowat Gate. The gate house at Dufferin Islands was called the Dufferin Gate.
New roads were built and existing roads were straightened and widened. Entrance into the park was free however a toll for vehicles and pedestrians (50 cents and 10 cents respectively) was charged for those wishing to cross the Cedar Island Bridge in order to view the upper rapids or Dufferin Islands.
Pre-existing buildings of a questionable nature were torn down.
Saul Davis was allowed to continue to own and operate the Table Rock House and his Museum. Davis also continued to operate the "Behind the Sheet" attraction until 1888. In 1889, a protective pipe railing was built along the edge of the gorge from the Table Rock to the new Suspension Bridge.
In 1888, six fresh water fountains were built. The fountains were fed by spring water flowing from the glacial moraine above.
The first washroom was a wooden structure built near Inspiration Point which was located 1000 feet north of the Davis Museum (Table Rock). The washroom drained into the gorge. In 1901, a new and much larger washroom facility was built. This washroom was fed by spring water which was utilized to flush the toilet to the river below.